The church of St Peter and St Mary Magdalene has been in Fordham since before 1200, we don't know the exact date of its founding. It is mentioned in 13th century documents so was up and running by then. Initially the church was part of the monastic foundation of Fordham Abbey until the abbey was dissolved in the 16th century. From then on it has served as the parish church for Fordham. In the 19th and early twentieth centuries much was done to beautify the church. The roof, stained glass and the internal paintings were all completed in this period.