Data Protection Act 2018: How we use pupil information
We collect and hold personal information relating to our pupils and may also receive information about them from their previous school, local authority and/or the Department for Education (DfE). We use this personal data to:
- support our pupils’ learning
- monitor and report on their progress
- provide appropriate pastoral care; and
- assess the quality of our services
This information will include their contact details, national curriculum assessment results, attendance information, any exclusion information, where they go after they leave us and personal characteristics such as their ethnic group, any special educational needs they may have as well as relevant medical information.
We are required, by law, to pass certain information about our pupils to our local authority (LA) and the Department for Education (DfE). The DfE may also share pupil level personal data that we supply to them, with third parties. This will only take place where legislation allows it to do so and it is in compliance with the Data Protection Act 2018.
Decisions on whether DfE releases this personal data to third parties are subject to a robust approval process and are based on a detailed assessment of who is requesting the data, the purpose for which it is required, the level and sensitivity of data requested and the arrangements in place to store and handle the data. To be granted access to pupil level data, requestors must comply with strict terms and conditions covering the confidentiality and handling of data, security arrangements and retention and use of the data.
For more information on how this sharing process works, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-pupil-database-apply-for-a-data-extract
For information on which third party organisations (and for which project) pupil level data has been provided to, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-pupil-database-requests-received
If you need more information about how our local authority and/or DfE collect and use your information, please visit:
- our local authority at http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/ or
- the DfE website at https://www.gov.uk/data-protection-how-we-collect-and-share-research-data
We process personal data relating to those we employ to work at, or otherwise engage to work at, our school. This is for employment purposes to assist in the running of the school and / or to enable individuals to be paid. The collection of this information will benefit both national and local users by:
- improving the management of workforce data across the sector
- enabling development of a comprehensive picture of the workforce and how it is deployed
- informing the development of recruitment and retention policies
- allowing better financial modelling and planning
- enabling ethnicity and disability monitoring; and
- supporting the work of the School Teachers’ Review Body
This personal data includes identifiers such as names and National Insurance numbers and characteristics such as ethnic group, employment contracts and remuneration details, qualifications and absence information.
We will not share information about you with third parties without your consent unless the law allows us to. We are required, by law, to pass on some of this personal data to:
- our local authority, Cambridgeshire County Council;
- the Department for Education (DfE).